Tuesday, June 5, 2012

A blog series on indie authors and the journey of self-publishing


My blog buddy Jessica from Thoughts at One in the Morning is hosting a series on self-publishing this month. I was honoured when she asked me to participate, and I was impressed at how thorough her questions were, touching on everything from first drafts and revisions to cover design to formatting and publishing, and everything in between. I know that for me, when I was trying to make my decision to independently publish Blue Sky Days, I read everything I could get my hands on - articles, blog posts, tweets, you name it. It wasn't an easy decision, and it certainly wasn't one I took lightly. 

It's amazing how much self-publishing has evolved even just in the last year. Now it's almost becoming the norm in a way - so many people are doing it, the stigma and taboo are slowly fading. If things had been like this last year, my decision likely would have been easier. And if I'd had a series like the one Jessica is hosting, I think that would have helped too, because I had so many questions, and I wanted to make sure I was making the right decision. 

For this feature, Jessica has asked four self-published authors: A.M. Hargrove, Avery Sawyer, Michelle Flick, and myself to talk about our journeys in the hopes that we can make the decision a little easier for people who are looking to take this route. There really is a lot involved in the process, and it's good to know these things going in. I've talked a bit in the past about my journey, but I've never gone this in-depth. I hope you'll find this series useful and enjoyable, and I also hope you'll join me in applauding Jessica for all her hard work organizing this huge event. 

The first part of the series focuses on First Drafts and Revisions. Be sure to check it out!

~Marie


No comments:

Post a Comment