Friday, January 4, 2013

Weekly Update #1

Welcome to my first writing update of the new year! Anyone who's been following along will know that I'm terrible at keeping this blog updated, so I thought I would do weekly writing updates, hopefully on Thursdays or Fridays.

My current project is a Christmas novella that I started last month. I was supposed to be taking December off from writing since I worked non-stop all 2012, but I just couldn't help myself. The idea struck and I had to run with it. 

I should have finished writing the novella yesterday, but then something happened that's one of the worst nightmares a writer can experience: I lost the last two chapters I'd written the day before. I accidentally overwrote the file with the previous day's and I couldn't fix it. I had a serious meltdown - it was not pretty. I'd worked so hard on those two chapters, and there was one scene that was a pivotal point in the book and it was all lost. I wanted to just throw up my hands, say 'screw it', and walk away, but I didn't. I (painstakingly) rewrote those two chapters. Luckily it was still fresh in my mind, even though I know some of it ended up different than the original. 

Now I just have another chapter or two to go and I'm hoping I'll be able to finish today. I felt so emotionally drained yesterday when I was finished (it took me most of the day just to rewrite those two chapters). I guess that's a lesson to be careful with your files. I always back up my files, so I never think something like that, or losing a file altogether, could happen to me, but I guess that's proof that accidents happen and you should be careful. Learn from my stupid mistakes, people! ;-)

Have a great weekend!
 


1 comment:

  1. A very good reminder. Whenever I transfer files on to my flash drive from my laptop to the PC, I'll recopy all my writing files onto it for backup. I really should do it more. I think I would have had a major meltdown too! I saw on FB that you finished, so YAY for you! :D

    ReplyDelete